Thursday, March 8, 2012

Waka Waka...ZUMBA!!

About a month ago, I started adding cardio to my training schedule. Jacob (aka Yoda aka my trainer) had been bugging nagging telling encouraging me to do this since I began training with him in December, but I refused thought I knew better hadn't done it. Part of it is that, frankly, I'm lazy. The other part is that in the back of my mind, I think I figured that since training three hours a week was about 1000 times more than what I'd done previously, it would be enough. It turns out that was true...for the first five days.

In my last post, I mentioned that half of my progress was made during the previous three weeks - about exactly the amount of time I'd been faithfully doing my cardio. Another reason I resisted following Jacob's orders advice is because I hate machines. Specifically, the treadmill, elliptical and stair-demon. But when my results became stagnant, I had no choice. So I joined the YMCA.

I hadn't really considered a gym membership before, because I knew I couldn't afford one,but for some reason, I stopped at the Y on my way home one day and asked about financial aid. The Y is wonderful about making sure that anyone who wants to become a member is able to do so. If you want to join, but don't think you can afford it, go talk to them. They'll make it work for you. (and to those of you who make donations so that people like me have this opportunity...THANK YOU!!!)

So I do classes there almost every day, and I've started swimming again, too. Fun, fun, fun! My favorite thing to do is Zumba. If you're unfamiliar with it, check out the video below. Every Saturday and Sunday, my son and I go to a Zumba class and I take two or three more during the week in addition to other classes I've discovered there.

There are two Zumba events coming up in April here in Boise, both to benefit Autism awareness. The first is April 13th from 7 - 9pm. The second one is called Light It Up Blue Autism Zumbathon, April 28th, 6:30 - 8:30 pm.  Anyone want to be my date?

By the way, this is EXACTLY  how I look when I'm doing Zumba. Exactly.


No comments:

Post a Comment